Voilà! Many of you requested to know what this colorful looking side was that nestled in the background of our Miso Chicken plate. It's a fantastic bean salad from one of our most-favorite fellow blogger's site, A Southern Grace. Grace is a truly dedicated blogger and has so many great recipes. She also shares our same crazy love of cilantro. The funny thing is that she even inquired "whatever the colorful side dish in the background might be?" it in her comment on our previous post! Hehe. She sure stays true to what she likes, even though she didn't know it was hers!
Grace's original recipe called for bbq sauce, which we were unfortunately out of, so we improvised with a olive oil-based dressing. We made a few other changes, but it still turned out very delicious! Perfect for a side or party appetizer. You don't have to do the refrigerating step it if you're short on time - flavor just improves as it sits in there. One thing to note is that this recipe yields a whole lot. However if you like it as much as we did, it's okay. This even makes a great dip for tortilla chips... like a beany pico salsa (maybe that's what they should call it).
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapenos, chopped
- 1 15.5 oz can black beans, rinsed
- 1 15.5 oz can yellow corn, drained
- 1 15.5 oz can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 15.5 oz can chick peas, rinsed
- 1 15.5 oz can diced tomatoes with chiles, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- Combine all ingredients except for olive oil and lime juice in a large bowl. Wisk olive oil and lime juice in a small bowl. Pour over bean mixture and stir well to combine.
- Refrigerate for about an hour to let the flavors combine.