This bread is probably the best we've made so far. It makes a great Christmas (or whatever occasion) gift. It's a new twist on banana nut bread - yum!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups ripe mashed banana pulp (about 3 bananas)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup non-hydrogenated, non-dairy margarine, melted and cooled or canola oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-by-2 1/2-inch loaf pan with a bit of margarine.
- Whisk together flour, oats, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk bananas, eggs and margarine together in a separate bowl.
- Add sugar, cranberries, and lemon juice; mix until blended.
- Gently stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. Don't over mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake until lightly browned, 45 to 50 minutes. Note: Ours just took ~35 minutes, but I think our oven's a little hotter than normal ones - just keep an eye on it. Allow the bread to cool completely in the pan, about 1 hour before taking out.
Tips- Feel free to top with some butter (although this of course makes it a bit less healthy:)
- Or add some ice-cream for a delicious treat!
- It's also great the next day, just pop it in the toaster oven for a few minutes.