My mom used to make stuffed peppers, but they were more of a Mexican theme. I decided to try and make my own, but with a Greek-ish twist (minus the olives). Since green peppers were over $1 cheaper (per pepper) at the store than yellow, orange, and red, I used them. Next time, I think I might splurge. The green peppers turned out well, they just weren't as sweet and flavorful as one of the warm colors would've been. The filling, however, was delicious! You could probably actually fill 3-4 peppers with the recipe below, but we enjoyed eating the extra as leftovers. I'm definitely going to be cooking stuffed peppers again & trying a variety of different ingredients for the filling - so be on the lookout!
- 2 bell peppers (preferably yellow, orange, or red)
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz. spinach, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (if you get the oil-packed, rinse them before using)
- 1 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Heat oven to 375F
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil. Add orzo and cook until just tender (8-10 minutes). Drain and rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Meanwhile, half the peppers, remove seeds, white membrane, and stems. Mash chickpeas with a fork, leaving some whole.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until soft (about 4-5 minutes). Add spinach and oregano, stir until spinach is wilted (about 1 minute). Stir in orzo, chickpeas, 1/2 cup feta, tomatoes, vinegar, and salt. Cook until heated (about 1 minute).
- Fill each pepper will the filling and sprinkle with remaining feta.
- Bake peppers about 20 minutes, or until beginning to soften.