Our 100th post - crazy! We've definitely loved making all of these recipes and getting to see everyone else's awesome creations too! Hopefully there will be lots more to come :)
So last night I was feeling really tired and really didn't want to go to the store. I decided to try and make up my own dish (usually I'm more of a recipe follower or tweaker, but wanna be more of a creater one of these days :). I used what we had in the fridge and cabinets to make a simple casserole. It turned out pretty well & is super easy! I did bake it on 325F, which made it take about an hour to cook. Next time I'll probably turn it up to 350 or so to make it a bit quicker. I also used some herb flavored gouda from Trader Joe's (not listed in ingredients below) to sprinkle on top since we had it in the fridge. Feel free to use/substitute any cheese! With all of the veggies, I think it'd make a great vegetarian recipe if you just omit the chicken. We served it with a quick spinach salad topped with mushrooms, shredded carrots, bean sprouts, cilantro & cheese.
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (I used fire-roasted for more kick)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Red pepper flakes, to sprinkle (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Layer bottom of a 9x11 casserole dish with chicken.
- Top with all veggies, then rice. Pour tomatoes over top. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes covered, then 15 minutes uncovered until cheese is bubbly.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes (if desired) & serve!