Here's the asparagus recipe that we served with our Mushroom Champagne Scallops the other night, as promised. We found these awesome, huge asparagus at one of the many grocery stores we frequent the other day. Michael created a delicious recipe out of some things we had at home. He has been dying to use bacon in anything, so you know that got thrown in there. The asparagus soak up the bacon flavor quite nicely & the teriyaki and soy add some extra flavor. For any of you veggies out there, just omit the bacon & you'll still have a delicious dish (or use facon bacon:)!
- 6 strips bacon, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, cut into thirds
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp teriyaki sauce
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- Cook bacon pieces in a large skillet. Place on paper towel to dry. Drain pan, retaining 1 tablespoon grease.
- Place skillet back on medium-high heat and add olive oil, garlic, and shallot. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Add asparagus and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium-high. Next, add teriyaki, soy sauce, water, and bacon pieces. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-8 minutes, until asparagus are tender. The thicker the asparagus, the longer the simmer time (we had some nice thick ones!).