This recipe is very delicious and has a unique flavor. It had a combination of egg and spinach noodles & was topped with a very delicious asparagus puree that was almost pesto-ish. We actually added grilled chicken (it's rare that Michael will agree to a meat-free meal), which is easy to do for some extra protein. We grilled two chicken breast and added about 1.5 of them in case you're interested in throwing in some chicken (not included in recipe below). You could also probably stir-fry some tofu if you're a veggie and want some extra protein. The asparagus puree is absolutely delicious! We actually used it as a sauce for some grilled pizza a few nights later & it was perfect (you'll have some leftover)! The recipe was modified from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Cooking cookbook. Enjoy!
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 3 handfuls baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 oz. spinach fettuccine
- 4 oz. egg fettuccine
- Bring one medium pot of water and one large pot of water to a boil.
- Salt medium pot and add asparagus. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until asparagus is bright green and barely tender. Drain and transfer to a food processor.
- Add spinach, garlic, Parmesan, and 3/4 cup of the pine nuts to the food processor. Puree and slowly add in olive oil. Add lemon juice and salt.
- Salt pasta water and cook pasta until tender (following directions on box - each may require different cooking times). Drain and toss with 1 cup of the asparagus puree. Top with remaining pine nuts and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.