Well it's been some time since we last had a submission of the week. Well we've only had two ever but this is another great one! Bret (one of my best friends and main grill consultant) and his wife Peggy have recently purchased a new grill and smoker. Bret was very excited with this purchase and even added some extra gauges to it for flare (not really... he did it to more accurately monitor heat inside the grill). You may remember Bret and Peggy's last submission, the Burn Your Face off Ribs. Well we've turned down the heat and upped the flavor. To break in their new grill the two decided to smoke a pork butt. This is no small feat... who knows how many Bud Lights Bret had to consume in the 9 hours that it took to smoke this beast. All I know is that I finally got to sample some last week and it was fantastic! That man knows how to handle his butts! Here's Bret's complex grilling recipe that even requires you to get some sort of flavor injector that looks like a alien-injection gun and a entire day's worth of grilling. Way to go guys! We love the BBQ and can't wait till the next butt. Bret suggests you serve this delicacy with corn and cole slaw on a paper plate and wash it down with Bud Light. They also suggest using a really light brew contrary to some of our other fancier beers in order to leave more room for the succulent pig! Bret also notes that he has also accomplished this recipe on his older, smaller Weber grill and had great results as long as you keep the meat away from the heat.
Bret and Peggy's BBQI like to inject my butts (makes it more moist)
The injection I use is:
Bret's drunk pig injectionDo this (and the rub) at least 12 hours before cooking
- 1/2 Cup Bud Light
- 1/2 Cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Apple Juice
- 1/2 stick butter (salted)
- 3 tbs rub of your choice
- Mix all ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and let cool, then inject the butt like its an addict right out of rehab. Use paper towels to pat dry butt after injection to remove excess moisture.
- I like to use this injector that I got at Tractor Supply in the veterinary supply aisle. It can be pre-set for the amount of liquid you want per squeeze (I prefer 3 CCs)
Bret's (got a new smoker) Pork Butt Rub
- 1/2 Cup dark brown sugar
- 1/8 Cup Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Cup Paprika
- 1/4 Cup Chili Powder
- 1/8 Cup Mustard powder (Coleman's)
- 1/8 Cup Granulated Garlic
- 1 Tbs Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Tbs Coarse Black Pepper
Smoking the Butt
- Get your charcoal going early (I like use the all natural hardwood charcoal)
- First get the main chamber of your smoker to about 250 degrees.
- I have used a small Weber grill as well, still works just be careful not to get the fire too close to your meat.
- Add wood chips: I used Apple and Hickory
- Put your butt on the grill / smoker and let sit for 1-1.5 hr/lb until internal temp reaches 195 degrees
- Maintain a temp of 225-275 by opening and closing the vents on the bottom of your grill.
- Leave the top vent open the entire time.
- Make sure you don't add cold coals to your fire (I use a chimney starter then add them as needed)