Michael's mom was coming over for her first Chef Fresco meal the other night. Pressure on! We decided to go for a breakfast-dinner and make some cheesy smoked salmon frittata. Doesn't goat cheese just make everything better? In this one, we decided to do a double cheese. You can omit the Parm-Regg cheese if ya want. Smells slightly strong of cooked salmon, but very tasty. Best thing was that we had lots of leftovers for several breakfasts to come. You could also throw in some spinach, which would probably be pretty yummy. I hope ya like it!
On a side note we made it down to the beach one last time this weekend. Michael and his buddies caught some speckled trout and blue fish and the place we were staying had an outdoor kitchen. Does it get any better?! Perfect ending to summer. Too bad it's still supposed to be 90 degrees for the first day of fall tomorrow!
- 10 ounces (not quite a whole bunch) thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1.5 tablespoons skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1.5 teaspoons dried dill
- 6 ounces smoked salmon, torn into large pieces
- Cooking spray
- 1.5 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup minced scallions
- 1/4 cup fresh goat cheese (from a log is best)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Fill a large saucepan halfway with water and bring to a boil. Cook asparagus for 2 minutes.
- Drain and put asparagus in a bowl of ice water; drain and pat dry.
- Combine milk, salt, pepper, eggs and egg whites in a medium bowl. Stir with a whisk to combine. Stir in asparagus, Parmigiano-Reggiano, dill, and salmon.
- Heat a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray.
- Add oil and scallions to pan. Cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Pour egg mixture into pan. Stir once. Place bits of goat cheese evenly throughout egg mixture. Cook without stirring until edges begin to set (just a couple of minutes).
- Place pan in oven. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until eggs are just set.
- Remove from oven and preheat broiler to high.
- Broil frittata 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned.