Well this meal definitely breaks the meal slump. These fish taco are wonderful. We’ve had some requests for fish taco recipes lately, and prior to now we’d only tried 2 different ones. And its been over a year and a half since we made any - one should never go that long without fish tacos. The first we made with mahi mahi was okay, but not the best. The second with red snapper was absolutely delicious. We vote this one as absolutely delicious too. Makes you want to go to the beach and drink coronas. The sour cream sauce is super tasty and has a kick. The spice mixture for the fish is delicious too. Basically, you can’t go wrong. You can use 2 jalapenos if you can’t find serranos. You can also sub tilapia for the mahi mahi. Modified from Cooking Light, serves 4.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (juice of about 1 lime)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced white onion (about 1 and 1/2 medium onions)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 lb. mahi mahi fillets, skinned
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 white large taco-size tortillas
- 1 ripe peeled avocado, thinly sliced
- 4 lime wedges
- Combine sour cream, cilantro, lime juice and peppers in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Combine sour cream mixture and onion in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine paprika, sugar, oregano, garlic powder, salt, cumin and red pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over fish. Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Once cool enough, tear into pieces.
- Warm tortillas by placing damp paper towels on either side of the stack and zapping in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Divide fish, onion mixture, and avocado evenly among tortillas. Serve with lime wedges.