This is a great summer dish - perfect for the main course or great as a filling side and just in time for that last-minute contribution to your Labor Day get together. The combo of dill, lemon and garlic in the sauce is perfect. We added edamame b/c it is just so tasty. Feel free to use 1 1/4 cup frozen peas instead if you don't have edamame (alternatively, use just edamame if you have no peas). The whole thing is pretty easy to throw together. While waiting for your pasta water to boil and then the pasta to cook, prepare the sauce. While the whole thing chills in the fridge, throw together a salad and toast some bread to go along with it. I hope you enjoy! Very roughly modified from Cooking Light; serves 4.
I'm also sharing a couple pics of Jessi and I's most recent milestone; a triathlon. While it was only a sprint (750 meter swim, 17.5 mile and a 5-K run) it was still a lot of training. Of course Jessi beat me because she's a freak'n near-Olympic swimmer and a natural-born athletic prodigy (and she was waaay more diligent about training too). She placed 3rd in her age group and I got 17th. But I, Michael, and still super-pumped about it and would probably do another one. Have any of ya'll ever done a triathlon? If so let us know of a cool one to travel to. You'll notice that in the image of me running out of the lake that Jessi is right behind me. She caught up to me from a 4-minute lead time when her women's group started. P.S. don't make fun of my sweat nipple band-aids—they chafe and that shit hurts.
- 8 ounces uncooked orecchiette pasta
- 1 cup frozen edamame
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. *Start to prepare sauce while pasta cooks - see step 3
- Add edamame, peas and shrimp during last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise, buttermilk, chives, dill, salt, lemon rind and juice, black pepper, red pepper and garlic in a small bowl. Stir well with a whisk.
- Combine pasta mixture and radishes in a large bowl.
- Pour mayo sauce over pasta mixture, tossing to coat.
- Cover and refridgerate for 20-30 minutes.