Well, welcome back to blogging to us. After a 45-day hiatus, Jessi and I are finally posting a new recipe. We've been in the midst of a remodel round here, where we added on more to our bedroom, a walk-in closet and a new deck! We opted to tackle some of the work ourselves to save some dough. Cram this into our already busy lifestyle and something had to go. Unfortunately this was ole Cheffresco. Anywho, the addition is done and we're back at last.
We wanted to share these decadent brownies with you. They're made with a super-rich batter that really holds in a lot of moisture and the rich chocolaty flavor. Top this with the caramel icing, chocolate drizzle and sea salt and you've got the most perfect combination of sweet and a hint of salty. Good year round, these little guys are a sure crowd pleaser (unless of course someone's allergic to caramel). Give them a try and let us know what you think. Modified from Cooking Light.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons evaporated milk, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare brownies, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through baking powder) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Combine 6 tablespoons butter, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a small bowl. Add butter mixture to flour mixture; stir to combine.
- Scrape batter into a 9-inch square metal baking pan lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 19-21 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- To prepare icing, melt 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 1/2 tablespoons milk; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and powdered sugar; stir with a whisk until smooth. Spread mixture evenly over cooled brownies. Let stand 20 minutes or until set.
- Combine 2 tablespoons milk and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave on high for 45 seconds or until melted, stirring after 20 seconds. Stir just until smooth; drizzle over caramel.
- Sprinkle with sea salt; let stand until set. Cut into squares.