If you're like us your go-to side is a salad and it usually consists of the same ingredients night after night. Eventually you tire of it and long for a change. Well I've got the answer for you - you must try this recipe. Seriously amazing. And easy. Grilled lettuce may sound strange if you've never had it, but I guarantee you will love it. Especially when it's topped with bacon, sauteed onion and blue cheese. It does not take long to grill the romain. Too long and it will over-wilt. You'll also want all your other ingredients ready to go because it's best served warm, right off the grill. Don't dilly-dally taking photos and let it go cold like someone I know. Roughly modified from Rachel Ray.
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 romaine hearts, halved lengthwise (ours were pretty huge, so we peeled off a few of the outer leaves)
- Olive oil, to brush romaine
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- Light ranch dressing (we use Trader Joe's, which has bits of cheese in it and is the best!)
- Cracked black pepper, for garnish
- Preheat a grill to high.
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, flipping half-way. Set on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb some of the grease. Once cooled, chop. Drain all grease except about 2 tablespoons from the pan.
- Lower the heat to low, add the onion to the reserved bacon grease and cook until softened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Brush the cut sides of the lettuce halves with a bit of olive oil and grill cut side down until seared, about 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve the lettuce cut side up. Top with bacon dressing, blue cheese, ranch and pepper.