This was a really great meal with roasted eggplant, curry chicken, rice, eggplant punjab (although this was out of a box...oops I got lazy) and naan. The punjab and naan came from Trader Joe's and were very delicious. They made great sides to the chicken and roasted eggplant. We toasted the naan in the oven for about 5 minutes and served the punjab over some white rice. I definitely recommend trying the chicken and eggplant! The cardamom and cloves were pretty expensive at HT so we substituted nutmeg (you could also use ginger or all-spice). Sorry it has taken so long to get this recipe posted, we've both been slammed with work - we'll try to be better!
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons mild or medium-hot curry powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds (which we didn't have, so used regular mustard)
- Generous 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom or cloves (or nutmeg)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with mild green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/3 cups sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen, thawed, coarsely chopped (we omitted b/c didn't have any)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a nonreactive Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add half the chicken pieces and sprinkle with a generous 1/2 teaspoon curry powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large plate.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pot and heat until hot. Add the remaining chicken; sprinkle with another generous 1/2 teaspoon curry powder and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the plate.
- Add butter, onion and mustard seeds to the pot; cook, stirring, until the seeds pop and the onion begins to brown, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pot, sprinkle with the remaining curry powder and cardamom (or cloves); stir to coat the chicken with the spices. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, dried and fresh cranberries, ginger and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the mixture reduces slightly and the chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes more. Serve garnished with cilantro.
- 1/2 of an eggplant
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. basil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F. Cut eggplant into 1/4 inch slices. Brush tops with olive oil.
- Combine vinegar, ginger, onion, basil, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Brush over each eggplant slice.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes and serve.