We wanted to try some crab cakes, but it was nearly $25 for a little container at the HT so we opted for shrimp burgers instead. And man were they delicious! We got the original recipe from Cooking Light, but I think it was intended to be just an appetizer since it was supposed to make 10 burgers and we only got 5 out of it (or maybe we're just really hungry:). The salsa that goes with it is really good also (and only 1 step!). We actually doubled the original salsa recipe (the one below is exactly how we made it) because we love salsa so much. It's the perfect blend of flavors, I definitely recommend you try it!
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), divided
- 2 cups frozen white corn, thawed
- 1.5 cups diced peeled avocado (about 2 small/medium avocados)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion (about 1/2 a large onion)
- 2 finely chopped seeded poblano peppers
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Put shrimp in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Heat 1 tbsp. of the olive oil then add bell pepper to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic to pan; sauté for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Place bell pepper mixture in a large bowl.
- Add shrimp, green onions, mayonnaise, lime juice, hot sauce, sugar, salt, and egg, stirring well. Stir in cilantro and 1/4 cup panko.
- Divide shrimp mixture into 5 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Chill at least one hour.
- Dredge both sides of patties in remaining 1/2 cup panko.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat. Head 1 tbsp olive oil and add cakes to pan (however many will fit); cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan; cover and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining cakes.
- Combine corn and remaining ingredients; stir gently. Serve immediately with shrimp cakes.