So we have this problem of never being able to quite finish off all of the cabbage when we make a cabbage dish. We had a ton leftover from our Tostadas the other night. For dinner tonight, we wanted to make something quick and use up that cabbage. I also kinda wanted some pizza. So I googled cabbage pizza, doubting that I'd find anything, but what do you know - I found a recipe! I got it from Manjula's Kitchen, a vegetarian Indian cooking blog. As strange as it sounds, it was really good! Michael even liked it despite the fact that it had no meat.
The original recipe didn't call for any cheese - we added goat, which I think was perfect for this recipe. If you don't like spicy foods, use just one jalapeno, or omit them all together. We used our favorite Trader Joe's wheat pizza dough, but you can also make your own Whole Wheat Pizza Crust. You all might be better at making a nice shapely crust than me :)
And wouldn't you know, after all that we still have cabbage left!
- Pizza dough for 1 pizza
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups sliced red cabbage
- 1/2 thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 chopped jalapenos
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbles
- Preheat oven to 425F. Roll out pizza dough.
- Heat oil in a small heavy saucepan over low-medium heat. Add flour and cook until it changes into a light brown color (just about 1-2 minutes).
- Slowly add the milk to saucepan, stirring constantly. Continue cooking slowly until it is smooth and thick (7-10 minutes). Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Mix in the cabbage, bell pepper, cilantro, and jalapenos.
- Evenly spread the cabbage mixture onto the pizza. Top with cheese.
- Bake until cheese and crust begin to brown.