I hope everyone had a happy & fun 4th! Michael and I headed up to the mountains to search out possible wedding locations & think we may have found the spot in Asheville :) Then we went to see his family in Blowing Rock for the evening & I headed back to see my parents at the lake at home the next day. It's been a good weekend! Anyways, the other night, we went to Pops in the Park with some of our friends, which is put on by the Charlotte Symphony. You basically just take a big blanket, sit out on a huge lawn and listen to music among tons of other people. It was really fun! Michael and I made these veggie wraps to take with some cheese and wine. We didn't quite have time to take a pic of the wraps before we left, so this is a photo I took the next day (hence the squashed look:) They're very tasty (even on the second day) and have a unique flavor. The sharp cheddar mixed in the avocado is delicious and the chiles add a little bit of a kick. The recipe came from the newest Eating Well magazine. The original calls for cabbage, but we used pea shoots instead. You could really use any type of lettuce or spinach. They're perfect for picnics or lunch parties. I hope you enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pea shoots
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 4 tortillas
- Whisk vinegar, oil, chipotle chiles and salt in a medium bowl. Add pea shoots, carrot and cilantro; toss to combine.
- Mash beans and avocado in another medium bowl with a potato masher or fork. Stir in cheese and onion.
- To assemble the wraps, spread about 1/2 cup of the bean-avocado mixture onto a tortilla and top with about 2/3 cup of the chile-carrot mixture. Roll up. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Cut the wraps in half to serve, if desired.