I love me some veggie burgers. I've been wanting to try some homemade black bean burgers for a while & finally I got Michael to agree (he's not the biggest fan of meatless dinners). They turned out pretty delicious! The recipe is very easy - I combined quite a few different ones I came across on the internet. Use 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes if you're not a fan of spice. We served them bun-less, but I've included some buns in the recipe b/c i think burgers are always more delicious that way. I'm definitely going to be trying more veggie burgers in the future! Let me know if you have any great recipes.
Happy Halloween everyone! Is anyone coming up w. great costumes? Michael has been working on his witch doctor costume for work all night. It's looking pretty impressive, I must say (picture may come later if you're lucky:). I'm not sure what I'm gonna be yet, but I definitely don't think I'm gonna be able to top Michael.
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 egg
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Put beans in a medium bowl and mash well with a fork. Add egg, chopped onion, bread crumbs, cilantro, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine then shape into 4 patties.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Cook patties, flipping once, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 10 minutes total.
- Place on buns & top with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, and onions and serve.