Mulliga what? That's what I was wondering when Michael said he was making this for dinner a few nights ago. Google told me that mulligatawny means 'pepper water', which doesn't sound too appetizing. But don't let that fool you, this soup is soo yummy! We got the recipe from Michael's mom & it's a perfect combination of sweet and spicy. I could eat this every week. The apple and chutney really make the recipe. I hope you all will try it!
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped, peeled Gala apple (about 1 medium)
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 - 14.5 cans chicken broth
- 1/3 cup Major Gray's chutney (found in mustard aisle)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- Cut chicken into thirds and saute in a large pan with the olive oil. When cool, use a fork to shred, set aside.
- Add apple, onion, carrot, celery and bell pepper in same pan and saute over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour, curry, ginger and crushed red pepper. Cook 1 minute. Stir in broth, chutney, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add chicken and simmer 8 minutes or until heated through.