A vegetarian meal! And Michael actually picked out the recipe on his very own. It is rare to have a meat free night around these parts (such a good hubby=). But let me tell you what, we both LOVED these guys! Excellent flavor and super quick to prepare (it took the two of us just about 15-20 minutes max to make). The original recipe (from Bon Appetit) called to use a regular grill, but we used a grill pan to save on time and they turned out great. We also used light mayo instead of full-fat. Definitely a must try! Serves 3-4 (depending on how hungry your guests are - Michael ate two by himself :)
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 2 tbsp light mayonnaise
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 good hamburger buns (or rolls), cut in half
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stemmed (the bigger the better!)
- Olive oil
- 2-3 jarred roasted red peppers from jar, drained and roughly sliced
- 4 cups arugula (about 2 ounces)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Stir pesto and mayonnaise in small bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast buns (either in a toaster or if they're too big, in a toaster oven or oven). Transfer to plates. Spread one half of each bun with the pesto mayonnaise mixture.
- Meanwhile, heat a grill pan on the stove over medium-high heat. Brush mushrooms on both sides lightly with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill for about 4 minutes, then flip and grill until mushrooms are tender, about another 4 minutes.
- Place 1 mushroom on each bun bottom. Top each with enough red pepper pieces to cover, then with arugula and cheese. Press roll tops over and serve.