This tasty number was modified from a Paula Deen original. Michael loves a good Paula recipe (so much so that we also had a side of Paula's bacon green beans with the soup). You know me though, we had to adjust the ingredients a bit to make it healthier. It was still super creamy, rich and delicious though. I loved it and we'll definitely be making it again. If you love creamy soup, you gotta give this one a try. I will warn you though, it makes a lot of soup! We were eating it for days. You could definitely half it and still have enough to serve at least 4-6 people.
- 2 lbs. yellow squash, sliced into rounds
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 medium carrots, sliced thin
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can reduced-fat evaporated milk
- ½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large soup pot.
- Add onion, carrots, squash, salt and pepper and saute for 20 minutes.
- Add evaporated milk and sour cream to squash mixture, stir well. Simmer until mixture bubbles, about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in nutmeg, cheese, ham and vegetable stock, simmer for 15 minutes.